You are in the tourist portal of the area of the municipalities of Nikopol and Turnu Magurele! Here you will find everything you need for your trip in the area – tourist services, sights, upcoming events, a description of the area and much more useful information.
YOU CAN VISIT
The medieval cross-domed church “St. St. Peter and Paul” – XIII-XIV century was declared a national cultural monument I category-SG issue 69/1927. The locals call it “The Monastery”. The church was first studied in 1871 by Felix Kanitz and is the only surviving part of a medieval monastery complex. The architectural style is defined as Tarnovo-Nessebar. The building is cross-domed, one-nave, one-apse with a narthex to the west. The entrance to the porch is to the south and to the nave is to the west. The external dimensions of the foundation of the church are 10/7 m.
The Kaleto Fortress, also known as Tsar Ivanshishman’s Fortress, is located on the western hill above Nikopol. It is 350 m long and 250 m wide and was a heavily fortified fortress of important strategic importance and a well-protected port. The western part of the fortress with the “charshiyskata gate” is partially preserved. Archaeological excavations have uncovered various cultural layers – Roman, Bulgarian and Turkish periods.
Asamus was a large fortress city, which according to archaeologists covered an area of about 100 acres. Today 2/3 of it are below the village of Cherkovitsa, only the castle of the town (“Osamsko kale”) is visible, located east of the village center, on the right bank of the river Osam, at the northwestern end of the Nikopol hill. Its fortress walls enclosed an area of about 20 decares, some of which are still preserved at a height of 1.5-2 m.
It is located in the southern part of Nikopol. A typical town bulgarian house from before the Liberation. One of the houses of the Smolyanovi family, in which Vasil Levski hid. It was restored in 1968. Today it is an ethnographic museum.
In the eastern part of the hill above the town of Nikopol is positioned the Monument of Victory, erected in honor of 1300 Russian and Romanian soldiers who lost their lives during the liberation of Bulgaria in 1877. It was built in 1906 and is one of The 12 monuments built immediately after the Liberation, at the initiative of the Russian Ministry of War. It offers a beautiful view of the Danube River.
The Church “The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin” was built in 1840 with funds raised from donations. It has been declared a cultural monument. It has a richly carved bishop’s throne and iconostasis, authentic icons from 1841-1842, the work of masters from the Tryavna Art School.
The Holy Trinity Church was built after the liberation of Bulgaria in 1883 in the village of Lozitsa. The icons of the church are made by a master from the Tryavna Art School, who works in the traditions of Orthodox art. In 1889, two painters painted the frescoes in the church. The brothers Saints Cyril and Methodius are depicted in a central place. The style of the frescoes is strongly influenced by Western European art.
The ruins of the medieval fortress “Turnu” / Turis / from Turnu Magurele (the fortress of Mircea cel Batran from the end of the XIV century) is located south of the city, in the valley of the Danube-at a distance of 4 km from the city and 1 km from the mouth of the river Olt. The fortress played an important role in the country’s defense system, especially during the reign of Mircea cel Batran, who fought against the Ottoman invaders. The fortress is part of a fortified chain, along with those in Giurgiu, Bratu and Braila /Giurgiu, Turtucaia and Braila /, which runs along the river.
The Eastern Orthodox Cathedral of St. Haralambi, located in the center of Turnu Magurele, was built / 1900-1902 / on the site of the old church, which was built between 1842-1845. Today’s church was built on the initiative of King Carol I. and Queen Elizabeth. The plans were made by the French architect André Lecomte de Nui with architectural elements from the monastery church “Curtea de Arges”. The roof is covered with copper, the furniture is made of solid oak, the colored mosaic glass is made in the country, the frescoes are on fine plaster, made by Italian artists: Romeo Girolamo and Giuseppe Vespa. The church was consecrated in 1905 by Joseph Georgian. The eminent historian Nicolae Jorga placed the church in third place in importance and beauty after “Curtea de Agres” and “Trei lerarhi din lasi”.
Elena Angelescu’s house in Turnu Magurele is one of the most representative in the Teleorman district, built in the 19th century. It is located in the central part of the city. With the richness of its architectural elements, it is one of the most beautiful buildings in the region.
Mircea cel Batran is the man who rebuilt and fortified the Turnu Fortress as a defensive structure against the Ottoman invasion. It is located in a small park on Independence Boulevard. The statue of Mircea cel Batran was painted by Bucharest sculptor Oscar Hahn in 1968.
The monumental ensemble, dedicated to Romanian heroes in the War of Independence in 1877, was built in 1985 by a group of architects from Bucharest. The figures of 3 soldiers in a semicircle represent the three armies: infantry, sailors and border guards. The sides of the monument contain bronze bas-reliefs and represent the crossing of the Danube by the Romanian army, the attack on Pleven, as well as scenes in which the military doctor, General Carol Devila, cares for wounded heroes.
The statue of Todorica Dorobantu, located in the city park, honors the heroism of a local hero who fell in the war of independence from 1877-1878. The statue was made in 1907 by the Italian sculptor Rafaello Romanelli and borders two Turkish cannons captured by the Romanians. soldiers in Plevna.
The bust of General David Praporgescu was erected in honor of the general, a son of peasants born in Turnu Magurele. On September 30, 1916, he was killed at the front during the First World War in the battles of Olt in the ridges of the Carpathians. The bust was made by the sculptor Gheorghe Iliescu-Culinesti.
The rock church “St. Stefan” is located in the area “Plavala” in the land of Nikopol. It was declared in 1976 a historic site called “Rock Church”, with an area of 1 ha. The church is carved into the limestone rock, on its walls abound old inscriptions and paintings from the era of the birth of Christianity (3-4 century). In 2003 it was recategorized as a natural landmark, and the name and area are preserved. The church was active in the X-XI century.
Persina Nature Park was declared on December 4, 2000, with a total area of 21,762.2 ha. It is located on the territory of three municipalities: Nikopol, Belene and Svishtov and is the fifth largest of the ten nature parks in Bulgaria. Persina Nature Park is unique for Bulgaria and is the only one along the Bulgarian Danube. Its announcement aims to preserve and restore the Danube wetlands and preserve the natural state of the numerous islands. The islands that are part of the park are divided into two island groups – Nikopol Island Group and Belene Islands Complex. Here is the largest Bulgarian Danube island-Persin, which gave the name of the nature park. The uniqueness and great significance of the Belene Islands Complex is the reason why it has been declared the largest Ramsar site in Bulgaria. Persina Nature Park is one of the fifty ornithologically important places in Bulgaria, part of the European ecological network NATURA 2000, as a protected area under both directives: the Habitats Directive and the Birds Directive. The natural condition of the islands in the composition of the park, its unique location, the dynamics of the Danube River make Persina Nature Park one of the […]
The Nanin kamak cave in the village of Muselievo is not managed and is not secured. It preserves the habitats of protected species of bats: Cave Long-winged, Long-toed Nightingale – included in the Red Book of Bulgaria, as well as Large and Small Horseshoe Bat. The total length of the cave is 178 m. In the area are some of the earliest archaeological finds related to the emergence and development of man in our lands – 50-40 thousand years BC. There are legends about the vertical rock. The name “Nanin Stone” comes from a girl who was desperate for the fact that a Turkish bey fell in love with her and wanted her for his wife. She is thrown from a 100-meter cliff and dies to never be his.
Declared in April 1976 as a Natural Landmark with an area of 28.1 ha, and in 2003 it was re-categorized as a Protected Area with the same name and area. It is a natural habitat of the plant Licorice. Its locality is located on the land of the town of Nikopol. It is also called licorice, licorice or licorice. The plant is a member of the legume family and reaches a height of 1 m. Licorice is grown because of its roots, from which an extract is extracted containing a large amount of glycyrrhizin (a sweetener more than 50 times sweeter than sucrose, which also has medicinal properties). . It is used to improve the taste of various medicines, as well as in soft drinks and candies.
Nikopolskoto plato with an area of 22246.4 ha is located in the Danube plain south of the town of Nikopol. To the north it borders with the Danube River and the town, to the west and south with the Osam River, and to the east with the Svishtov-Belenska lowland, where the border is delineated between the villages of Dragash Voyvoda, Byala Voda and Dekov. About 18% of the territory of the Nikopol plateau falls in the Persina Nature Park. The road from Svishtov to Nikopol passes through its territory. Most of the plateau is occupied by agricultural land and xerothermic grasslands. 92 nesting bird species have been identified on the territory of the Nikopol Plateau, 16 of which are included in the Red Data Book of Bulgaria (1985). Of the species found, 43 are of European conservation importance (SPEC) (BirdLife International, 2004).
The Elia fountain is located in the southern part of Nikopol. An ancient Roman tombstone is embedded in the front, on which an epitaph is carved in Latin in measured speech, expressing the grief of the Roman financial official in the province of Lower Moesia-Fronton for his late wife Elijah. Touched by the inscription, archaeologist Dijardin placed a second inscription a century and a half ago. The slab is dated to 160-181 AD. Currently, the Elijah fountain is active, with spring water.
Community center “Saglasie-1907” in the village of Novachene was founded on February 24, 1907. In 1976 a new building was opened, which has a hall with 420 seats and a lecture hall with 160 seats. The amateur activity of the village is carried out in the community center. It prepares and organizes events for the more important holidays of the village.
Nikopol Port Terminal is part of the port of public transport of national importance Ruse. It is located on the southern (right) bank of the Danube River from river km 597,900 to river km 597,550 from the mouth of the Danube River in the western part of Nikopol, Pleven region, on Pan-European Transport Corridor № 7 (Rhine-Main-Danube). The terminal was designed, implemented and put into operation in 2008. Its total area is 17,642 square meters. A border checkpoint, a customs checkpoint, a checkpoint for phytosanitary control and others have been built on its territory. Cargo from and to the port is transported by road and water.
The village of Asenovo is located 24 km from Nikopol and 28 km from Pleven. It is named after the Bulgarian king Assen. It was inhabited in 1892 by descendants of the famous Chiprovtsi people who fled after the uprising in 1688. They lived for more than 200 years in…
The village of Batsova mahala is located on the left bank of the Osam River, about 30 km northeast of the regional centre of Pleven. During the Roman Empire, a road from Melta / Lovech/ to Nikopol. On this road, the old village of Zevgelia appeared, which was preserved almost…
The village of Cherkovitsa is located 4 km from Nikopol and 54 km from Pleven. There are two legends about the origin of its name: In the past, the village was located near the village of Zhernov. It was built in the form of a hoop /in Wallachian language "cherk"/.…
The village of Debovo is located 34 km northeast of Pleven and 20 km south of Nikopol. According to old people, the village of Debovo was founded in 1858. At that time, Tatars from the Crimea, Russia were forced by the Russian government to accept Christianity or leave the country.…
The village of Dragash Voyvoda is located in a picturesque valley, 3 km from the Danube River, 10 km east of Nikopol and 36 km west of Belene, within the Persina Nature Park. Towards the middle of the 19th century, the village was founded under the name "Ermenlui". This is…
The village of Evlogievo is located 3 km from the road Pleven - Nikopol. Its area is 13.92 km2. As small as it is today, the village of Evlogievo has an interesting past. The old name of the village is Slatina. After September 9, 1944, it was renamed after the…
The village of Lozitsa is located 19 km from Nikopol and 32 km from Svishtov. Its name comes from a large wild vine, which connected the two banks of the river and served as a natural bridge. Studies show that the village dates back to Roman rule on the Balkan…
The village of Lyubenovo is famous for the historical place Manastira, which is located south of the village. It is named after the local partisan Lyuben Dochev from September 26, 1949, when in fact its inhabitants moved to their current location. Before this year, they lived in the nearby hills,…
Municipality of Nikopol
Nikopol Municipality is located in the northern part of Pleven District, in the middle part of the Danube Plain on an area of 415.9 km2. Includes 14 settlements - Nikopol and 13 constituent villages. The territory has a variety of relief-typical lowlands and hilly plateaus, cut by deep valleys with…
Municipality of Turnu Magurele
The municipality of Turnu Magurele is one of the 3 municipalities in Teleorman County with administrative boundaries: in the west-Olt County, in the north-Dambovitsa County, in the north-west Ardzhesh County and in the east-Giurgiu County.
The village of Muselievo is located 40 km from Pleven and 12 km from Nikopol. Data about the village are found in historical documents from the XV century. Archaeological excavations south of the village in the Morenitsa area have revealed the largest Late Paleolithic site in the Balkans: two prehistoric…
The town of Nikopol is the administrative center of the municipality and is one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria. It is located on the right bank of the Danube river. It is located 54 km northeast of the regional centre of Pleven. The nearest Bulgarian cities are the centers…
The village of Novachene is located 40 km from Pleven and 26 km from Nikopol. It is an old medieval settlement, registered in Turkish documents from the middle of the 15th century as a timar of the fortress Hlunik under the name Novache. In the 16th and 17th centuries it…
The village of Sanadinovo is located 100 meters from the lower reaches of the Osam river, at the foot of the Nikopol hills. It is 30 km south of Nikopol and 42 km northeast of Pleven. The village of Sanadinovo appears in the Ottoman archives as early as the 15th…
The town of Turnu Magurele, which has the status of a municipality, was officially declared a town in 1836 by a decree issued by the ruler of the Romanian state, Alexandru Gica. There have been settlers in these lands since ancient times. In 1960, a treasure trove of silver coins…
The village of Vabel is located on the Nikopol plateau. According to historical data, the village dates back to the settlement of the Slavs in our lands. There are two legends about the origin of the name: There was a spring above the village and in order not to muddy…
The village of Zhernov is located 10 km from Nikopol and 45 km from Pleven. At a distance of 25 km are the towns of Belene and Gulyantsi. The Osam river passes near the village. Zhernov is located on the main road Nikopol-Pleven.
For any suggestions about the site you can call us or write.